Early in the Fall of 1946 it was determined that a Rotary Club could be formed in the business area called ‘Burbank’ located about three miles to the west of the center of San Jos?. Although this area was in the territory of the San Jos? Rotary Club, it was decided that the Santa Clara Rotary would survey the community. Bill Hayward, then President of Santa Clara, and Bake Bacon agreed to this assignment.
Paul Delevan, a leading businessman in the area, was contacted and through his cooperation fifteen potential members were signed up. These fifteen men met with the District Governor, Clarence Price, of Vallejo, and on October 3rd organized a provisional club. The first meeting was held on October 8, 1946 at the Burbank School with 29 visitors representing Rotary Clubs from San Mateo to Hollister.
Naming the Club
A large residential area was called Beverly – named by the realtor after his sister. Because of the existence of the City of Burbank in Southern California, it was decided to name the club Beverly-Burbank. Upon successful petition to Rotary International, the Rotary Club of Beverly-Burbank was admitted to the organization as Club Number 6403 on October 26th, 1946.
Charter Officers and Members
President, Franz Niederauer;
Vice President, Roy Emery, Jr.;
Treasurer, Herbert F. Mabie.
Other charter members: John Cunha, Steve Dorsa, William Gelabert, Harry Miller, Bentley Brown, Jack Clewett, Paul Delevan, Herbert Hogue, Raeburn Hubbard, Everett Lorencz and Robert Pulver.
On December 10, 1946, the Charter Dinner was held at Lou’s Village restaurant with over 300 present. Governor Clarence Price presented the Charter. Gifts from other clubs consisted of a flag, codes of ethics, bell and gavel, badges and badge case, banks of flags and secretary-treasurer records and case.
1946-47: The Valley Fair Shopping Center came into being. A Ladies Night Potluck was held and a big event took place at McGinty’s Barn on Almaden Road. The highlight of the social year was a dinner at Vahl’s in Alviso … Perfect attendance for the year was achieved…group singing was lacking because no piano player could be found. President Niederauer later resigned because he belonged to Civitan and he felt he should not belong to two service clubs.