Please accept this personal invitation from the Board to our monthly board meeting at “The Original Hickory Pit” at the corner of Campbell and Bascom avenues across from the Pruneyard.
Rotary Club of Campbell
Monthly Board Meeting
Monday, Mar 2, 5:30pm
We especially would like to see our new members (last 2 years) and any members who have had a difficult tome attending the weekly Club meetings.
This month’s interesting topics include:
- Our Signature Event.
- Rotary Foundation pledge contributions
- April 25th Rotary worldwide workday
- Dr. Seuss’ Birthday Celebration
- George Miskulin Scholarship at DelMar HS
- Feb 28th Club Social honoring past Presidents
See you there! THE BOARD of DIRECTORS
Ms. Katie Hawn of Leigh High School was the winner of the Rotary Club of Campbell’s Youth Speech Contest on February 10, 2009.
Her five minute speech on the Theme “Rotary Pride: Make Dreams Real” incorporated Rotary’s 4-Way Test that serves Rotarians as a guide for everyday living.
Rotary Clubs of District 5170 sponsors the Youth Speech Contest each year with three objectives in mind:
- To help young people know the importance of speaking effectively before a Group;
- To expand public knowledge, especially among young people, of what Rotary is and does throughout the world;
- To allow high school students the opportunity to compete for up to $1,500 in prize money.
It was a great contest with 6 contestants from 5 schools. The success of this year’s campbell contest would not have been possible without members stepping into important roles.
I especially appreciate Carl Middione, David Keller and Ann Height for doing the difficult task of judging. I also want to express thanks to Bill Ellington and Bob Yeager for their hard work adding up the scores and recording the winners under the time constraints. Jerry Scott once again took on the task of being the timekeeper and Sue Klear and Delbar Jahanian helped out with greeting our contestants and guests. Thank you.
John Shannon did a spectacular job of entertaining the crowd while we finished up with the scoring decisions.
I look forward to March 3rd when we, once again, host the Area 8 contest. If you are interested in reprising your role or would like to fill in for someone in any of these positions please let me know.
Speech Contest Coordinator
Continue reading High School Speech Contest 2009